Jennifer - Kyle, Texas

I believe in the sincerity of a smile, not only a common facial gesture, but unspoken words of kindness. To many people, this simple contortion of the face creates a deep impact. No matter what race, religion, or what language an individual speaks, a smile carries a universal message; I care.

As an employee at the local grocery store, I have come face to face with many different, yet unique, people. Although some are unable to understand or hear what I am saying, they always respond with a warm grin. I have come to realize that they are not just substitutes for words, but a way of showing gratitude and appreciation.

There was a point in my life when I just wanted to shut the door. This was the death of my grandmother. My mother helped me realize that there was no point in dwelling on the bad things that had happened. Instead, she shared the funny and memorable years that I had shared with my grandmother. I believe that it was her smile and laughter that gave me hope and motivation to move on.

I have come to realize that the words expressed through a simple smile are always positive. They are used to represent many feelings; kindness, courage, hope, and thanks. I don’t think the world would be remotely the same without them, and for this reason, I believe in the sincerity of a smile.