Colloquial Communication

Sullivan - Buda, Texas

I believe in the power of colloquial communication, the kind of communication that makes me feel comfortable, the kind of communication that avoids unnecessary words

and the sugarcoating of ideas that is frequently used in today’s society. I believe in communication that gets a million words across in a simple phrase such as “Oh, Brother!” For me, the simplest means of communicating has proven the most effective.

The basis of my belief stems from my family on my mother’s side. The memories of going to Ardmore, Oklahoma, the town in which the majority of my mother’s family lives, will stay with me for a long time. At my granddad’s house I remember everyone sitting in the living room having such a good time speaking so informally, with special phrases from each family member. It is not that they aren’t educated; most were educated at the university level. There is just no need to impress. After multiple trips to the town I started to believe that this type of communication was largely responsible for their constant happiness, and it began to rub off on me.

I believe that when people shift away from this type of communication, it is only for false purposes. These false purposes include trying to impress somebody else or an entire group of people, or using rhetoric to try to cover up things, such as the manner in which politicians speak. I believe that if politicians really wanted to get through to their constituents they would keep their fancy, verbose speeches at home. Each person, without knowing in some cases, has their own colloquial phrases and styles of communicating. Whether communicating colloquially with friends or family, this type of communication shapes who we are.