Red Bull at Night, Coffee in the Morning

Dylan - Buda, Texas

I believe in always finishing what I’ve started, no matter what. If I make plans to eat lunch on Saturday with a good friend, or even better, that girl from the English class next door, I’m going to do everything within my power to keep that appointment.

People who work know. They know, as do I, how it feels to work through an entire day and come home way later than normal because of that stupid presentation that their boss, or teacher, asked them to finish before the beginning of the next day. They, like I, also know that unpleasant feeling of waking up to a blaring alarm clock three hours later. Invariably, a trip to the coffee shop for morning caffeine is made. “I’d like an espresso. You’d better make that a double.” But they are then able to stroll into their office, and I into my classroom, steaming cup in hand, to show off a finished project, even if its completion came during the earliest hours of the morning.

The only job title I have is that of “student,” and homework is something that I have committed to. Therefore, even when I blow it off until the last possible minute, I believe in always finishing. I know that it’s worth it and I’ll drink a Red Bull at midnight in order to stave off sleep long enough to put the finishing touches on what I hope will be an “A” project because I know that I can always make up the sleep that I’ve lost. Appointments and grades aren’t always so easy to make up.

So, I believe in doing whatever it takes to finish what I’ve started, even if it means a Red Bull at night and coffee in the morning.