To Be Complacent

Amber - San Marcos, Texas

I’m not a good dancer. I tend to lean on the clumsy side sometimes, and on the stiff side others. What can I say? I was born “gracefully challenged.” I’ve grown up with this small fact and so the moments when I was dared to dance in front of others weren’t my favorite. When it happened, I started politely rejecting, saying no, and creating diversions. Of course, it happened anyway. I went in knowing I couldn’t dance, and when I got up in front of everyone and showed off the limited number of moves I had, I showed just how “gracefully challenged” I really was.

I believe in being self-confident. I know that if I am confident in myself, my confidence will show through into everything I do. I believe that if you did a good job you should brag a little, because the more you say you’re great at something (regardless if you are or not), the more you will be great at something.

It’s all in the attitude. If you think about all of those annoyingly pompous people who pretend to be the best, it’s easy to say, “I dislike this person.” But when it’s time to face the facts, that over bloated person gets the job done, and they get it done well. They may be irritating to listen to, but it is because they are so cocky that they are able to be true to themselves.

I believe in being egotistical. Not to the point of a fault, but to the point of giving you enough confidence to know that whatever you decide to do, you will do it one hundred and fifty percent. I think it’s okay to say that you tend to be a little smug, or self-satisfied, or even a little arrogant.

So instead of saying I’m “gracefully challenged,” I can say that I dance a little different from everybody else. Who cares? Maybe it isn’t me who dances funny, but everyone else who is dancing funny, and I’m the only one who knows how to do it right.