Catherine - Kyle, Texas

I believe karma is a created by people and their guilty consciences. People perceive things as they subconsciously think they should be, whether or not it is in their favor. I think that people feel that they need to be punished for something bad so that they can move on, but don’t want to punish themselves-thus karma. To someone who believes in karma when they do something wrong, they see it as a black spot on their conscience until they are even. Karma to them is just an eraser for their inner blackboard; it is a Clorox bleach pen for their conscience.

In the grand scheme of life does a stubbed toe and a lost paper equal driving drunk and putting others’ lives in danger? To my friend’s guilty conscience that lost paper and stubbed toe was retribution for her wrong. To her someone’s life was only worth a hurt toe and lost paper to the universe. Her slate was wiped clean. She could start over; all was forgiven. By telling yourself and others that the universe has gotten back at you and that now you are even, makes whatever you did not as bad because something bad happened to you, too.

The whole idea of what goes around comes around is just absurd to me. To me, if I trip it is because I am clumsy and was too busy looking at the cute guy across the room (not because I said something bad about someone else a few minutes ago.) Shouldn’t the universe be more worried about global warming or starving children then about getting even with me for every single wrong doing? If not, then that really boosts one’s ego.

In my opinion I would rather just forgive myself and not worry about some eye-for-a-stubbed-toe gimmick. If I can just do that, then I won’t have to come up with the karma excuse for why I’m so clumsy.

In the grand scheme of things does a stubbed toe and a lost paper equal driving drunk and putting others’ lives in danger? To my friend’s guilty conscience that lost paper and stubbed toe was retribution for her wrong. Her slate was wiped clean. She could start over; all was forgiven. By telling yourself and others that the universe has gotten back at you and that now you are even makes whatever you did not as bad because something bad happened to you too.

The whole idea of what goes around comes around is just absurd to me. To me if I trip it is because I am clumsy and was to busy looking at the cute guy across the room not because I said something bad about someone else a few minutes ago. Shouldn’t the universe be more worried about global warming or starving children then about getting even with me for every single wrong doing? If not well then that boosts one’s ego.

In my opinion I would rather just forgive myself and not worry about some eye-for-a-stubbed-toe gimmick. If I can just do that then I won’t have to come up with the karma excuse for why I’m so clumsy.