Nicholas - Buda, Texas

I believe in the power of beagles. Yes, those adorable, chaotic, mobile olfactory units whose comic antics and mysterious power to never get angry symbolize what I believe a citizen of a true utopian society should be like.

The average human life is filled with sorrow, anger, and stress, and in my fifteen years of experiencing these negative emotions, nothing has been able to banish them like simply cuddling with my beagle, Archie. It is always a joy to come home from a school day, whether it was good or bad, and witness Archie’s face light up and see his tail start wagging as he gets up from whatever lazy slouch he was in and come and greet me.

They can never get angry. They love everyone. They are simply incapable of hating you for your race, your religion, your background, your attire, even your species. Their lives are dominated not by greed or power, but by running in circles for four hours then sleeping to regain that lost energy for the remaining twenty. For beagles, life is about smelling what’s around the next corner, and feeling the wind in your massive floppy ears. It’s about howling and running and smashing into walls because you’re not looking. Their years are tragically short, but oh what a wonderful life they can lead!

Alas, we are but human, not the perpetually happy nose-with-a-dog-attached-to-it. But even though our noses may be a mere fraction of the size of theirs, though our ears can’t flop nor our tails wag, though we may never see the world the way those merry hounds do, maybe we can at least give it a try. Who knows? The world just might be a better place.