Kevin - Bowling Green, Ohio

During this past summer of 2007, I went on vacation to the Dominican Republic. I traveled with my family and another family we are friends with. Once our plan landed in the Punta Cana airport, I noticed right away that all the roads were dirt, and the airport was a grassy hut. On our way to the resort, we passed many people who looked like they were suffering on the streets and lived horrible lives. The Dominican Republic isn’t very luxurious besides the resorts. Many people stood on the sides of roads holding machine guns and always traveled in groups. After being at the resort a few days, we decided to go horseback riding. We had to take a bus to the ranch and were able to see a lot of the island. On our way, I noticed some of the houses people lived in, and could not help but feel bad. We passed what looked like to be an old broked down store that had caved in walls, and immediately thought the building was being torn down. However, I saw a family trying to live inside. Other houses on the island resembled old shacks that were falling apart with a blue tarp as a rook. Traveling to this ranch really made me realize how lucky I am to be living in the United States, to be able to live in a house, and get a college education.

Many people do not think of a shelter as being essential, probably because the United States is rather sheltered. In most cases, in order to find unsheltered citizens, you have to go to major cities and find them on the streets begging for pocket change.

Throughout the United States of America, we the people are given rights and freedoms through the amendments. These amendments give us basic rights as citizens; however I feel there is one thing people need, deserve and should have. This I believe is the right to a shelter or home.

Outside of the United States, there are many people suffering homeless, or the home they have is nothing more than a tarp between trees. One reason the United States is so populated is due to citizens of other countries leaving to come here and try to start over and be successful.

Once I returned back home from the Dominican Republic, I realized that everyone deserves a shelter or a place to stay with a roof over their head. I also realize that not everyone can afford a house, apartment, or even something as small as a trailer. With that said, I also believe that through government taxes, or another source, we could pay money for a place for the homeless. This idea resembles the work of Habitat for Humanity and homeless organizations. The homeless could work on the site for their stay, so nothing is free.

In the end, with nobody living on the streets and begging for pocket change, this world could be even a better place.