Richard - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: sports

I believe that soccer is a sport that also brings people together, and is like a language for many. I have played soccer all of my life, and it has helped me to meet new people and make new friends in grade school, and in high school. In grade school if there was ever a new kid, it was an easy way to get involved with the other kids by just playing a sport with them, and you can tell sort of what a person is like by the way he plays as well. Someone that plays rough or dirty may not be the person you necessarily want to be around, or always want to play with. On the other hand, the kids that were good, or tried hard you would want to be around and play with more so. The reason I believe soccer can be used as a language instead of another sport like baseball or football, is because it is a sport that is known world wide. Just about every kid in the world knows how to play soccer and all you need is a ball, and some way to make goals even if it is only a trashcan, or a couple of rocks. When I went on a mission trip to San Miguel Mexico with some other students, we stayed in a poor little town with the locals and we got to meet all of the kids from the neighborhood. None of us could really speak very good Spanish, so we learned to just ask them to play soccer, and that is how we really got to know the kids. That is why I believe soccer can bring people together and even be a language.