Jeremy - Portville, New York

I believe that life is always full of troubles, but you cannot let those troubles keep you down. This follows the old philosophy, “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” I am one of those persons that always see the good out of everything. Sometimes it may be difficult, because the situation may be filled with troubles and sorrow, but the good is always there. When you find it, it will give you the strength you need to make it through the situation.

The hardest time in my life came about a month before I was going to leave for my freshman year of college. I was on vacation with my family, when I received a phone call from my girlfriend, telling me that one of my best friends, Adam, had gone missing on a hiking trip. I felt helpless because I was so far away from home. Before we could get back home, I got the news. My friend was dead. I started to cry uncontrollable, it is the only time in my life, that I can remembered, where I was actually bawling. I felt sick to my stomach. When I got home I got to see the rest of my friends. It was comforting having them all there. There was a “little” service for Adam in the local park, but practically the whole town showed up. This was because Adam played a vital role in the school, sports, and the community. He was a good person, who treated everyone with respect. In the weeks that followed, my senior class became very close. A day did not go by where a big group of us did not hang out. It was nice to have this quality time together before we all went off to school. Also a small group of my close friends decided to start a scholarship in Adam’s name. We did this to reward people for exemplifying the values that Adam had and to make sure our friend was remembered. In addition, to our scholarship another fundraiser was set up in Adam’s name in order to build a basketball court in the village for everybody’s use.

It is amazing how many good things came out of such a terrible accident. I am not saying that it was good that my friend died. I would do anything to spend five more minutes with him. But good things did come out of his death, and I am grateful for that, because if they did not I probably would have not been able to make it through that time in my life. Sometimes the good will not shine out by itself, you might have to work to make good out of the bad.