Christine - Syracuse, New York

I believe in love. I believe in friends. And I believe in family. For these reasons, I believe my little sister will always and forever be my best friend. I’ve always shared everything with her, always tried to teach her what I already knew, from trying to teach her how to crawl, to trying to teach her how to properly forge our parents’ signatures. I’ve always taken pride in being her big sister, and have always tried the best that I can to defend her.

I am her protector. My sister is afraid of the dark. There was a time when almost every morning I would wake up with her curled up into a tiny ball shivering at the bottom of my bed. She never wanted to wake me, but she knew she was safe in my bed. She knew I would do anything to protect her, even if that meant giving my life to the alleged vampires under her bed. But she felt safe even without any covers protecting her, because when I was in her eye sight she never feared those vampires, and she could fall asleep in the most awkward position, better than she could in her own warm bed, because she knew I was there to protect her.

I am her rationality. She’s my polar opposite. She makes decisions impulsively, while I take a step back and overanalyze every situation. She helps me to let loose sometimes, and not always make my work my number one priority. I push her to take responsibility for her work and not always leave it till the last minute. However, she always does, and I’m the first one to be helping her glitter her poster board at 6:55 am while we have to leave for high school at 7:00. It shouldn’t be overlooked however that I was her ride to school and couldn’t leave without her.

I am her best friend. You see, I will be the one making her maid-of-honor speech at her wedding. I’ll be the one to sit down her fiancé and tell him if he ever does wrong by her, I’ll hunt him down and make his life a living hell. I’ll be the one she runs to when she fights with her husband. And I’ll also be the one who tells her no man has ever looked at a woman so in love than the way her husband looks at her.

I’m the shoulder she cries on, the rationality she needs, the protection that calms her, and the one person she knows she can always count on. This I believe to be the one true, constant, belief in my life, that my sister will always be my best friend.