Art and Music

Matthew - Syosset, New York

I believe in creative outlets for children. As I have grown up, I have had the chance to experience a lot of different aspects of art and music. After years of experience in all subjects it has showed me that it is very important for the growth of a child. There is nothing better than music and art to push ones creativity.

As a child I have been had my fair share of creative outlets for me throughout the years. In elementary school I was ‘forced’ to take some sort of art and music class every year, no matter how much I hated it. Looking back I realize it was such a great opportunity to let the real me, come out and present itself. As I grew older and climbed up the educational ladder I stopped finding creative outlets in school and worked my way towards less controlled environments where I could do whatever I want. I took custom classes in school where I picked my own projects and showed my creativity through the designing of homes, stores, and large buildings including my own sky scraper. Then I also did around twelve to fifteen hours of art school a week where I got to learn how to partake in many different forms of art, including my new favorite hobby, sculpting.

After all these years I never realized how fortunate of a child I was; given such great opportunities to let me show who I am creatively. The reason why I believe in this so much is after hearing about all of these children where school is cutting the funding for art and music, it made me look back at my childhood and realize how fortunate I was with all of these experiences. Schools that remove art and music over anything else are making major mistakes. The work that could be done in art can really help the child be themselves and not get penalized, while still having fun and enjoying it. School is hard enough to sit through when one gets older, no time for creativity can be torturous for a child. When the decision is being made to take away music and art from the local school district I hope that everyone around will step up and take this opportunity to end this mistake, and make sure that the neighborhood children have a creative outlet.