Shelby - Saint Joseph, Missouri

I have this friend. She has been through everything and back. She changed my perspective, it was different until i met her.

I thought, o, she’s a nice friend from school, she has about the same problems as us. I was totally wrong.

One day she came to school, and got called to the office, nobody knew what was going on. Later in the day she told me that her house had burnt down over the weekend, and all of her belongings had been lost in the fire. She seemed perfectly ok. She was upset, but that was because she didn’t have her homework and she didn’t want to get in trouble. That made me think. How can she be so strong. How can she come to school like everything is perfectly ok. Then it hadn’t clicked yet.

A few months later, she came to school crying. I went over to make sure she was ok, and come to find out her house had flooded over the weekend. The reason that she was so upset was because her books and homework were ruined. So were all her clothes.

I started to think that if this were to happen to me, i would be a total mess, and not beable to handle it. Then i thought, she is such a strong person, how can i be like her.

Now when something bad happens, i think back to her, and i take everything calmly as it comes at me. Because there are people in the world that are having worse things happen to them, and here i am.