J - Lewis Center, Ohio

My beliefs and moral philosophy stem from my religion, my family, and my own reasoning. I chose my religion based on my belief in the Bible and on the follow-thru of its practitioners as to what the Bible says. We have a strict code about human conduct. It’s given by God, not to restrict people, but in the natural parental way of trying to prevent harmful consequences; i.e. no fornication naturally prevents STD’s and unwed pregnancy. Since religion is often used or blamed for heinous activities, it was important to me to find the one that upheld what the Bible said (1 John 4:1-3, NW). One of the most well-known and, according to the Bible, the second most important, is the ‘golden rule’ (Mark 12:29-31, NW).

I believe that people have a responsibility to each other. Commonly heard today is that ‘we’ have a responsibility to the global community and future residents. I agree, but there is also the need for the realization of the person standing next to you in everyday life and the actions taken today. However complex my relationships, responsibilities, and philosophies, so to are those of every human being. The lack of that sort of empathy is responsible for a great number of world and individual troubles. Becoming inured or desensitized to how people treat each other is one of my greatest fears, for myself and mankind.

I believe that knowledge can bring untold joy. Finding out about anything widens the windows of perception and understanding. Learning how to do something or just knowing something that I didn’t before, increases the worth of everything else once I realize its interconnectivity. For me, this creates happiness and wonder and only fuels the want for more. Levels of this can be different for all people, and it doesn’t have to be the same information, activity, or method as anyone else. Anyone can introduce material to another, but only that person can tell how it affects them.

I believe that happiness is important for my health and life and that it shouldn’t be reliant upon anyone else but me. You have to make sure that you can make yourself happy before you look for someone to do it for you. I believe it is of the utmost importance to find a job that you like. If you have to something for forty hours a week for most of your life, search and search for the one that you won’t dread, because it will affect everything you do.

By stating these things, I am implying that I think others should hold by these philosophies, but only because I believe that these are universal truths that can make life a better bet. But, people have to find their own truths. New ideas and information should reason out and sit well before being swallowed whole. Learning and knowing my responsibilities to everything; God, other people, and yes, the Earth, isn’t a weighty burden, but a happy understanding of self.