Miles - Antelope, California

I believe in the power of comedy and every single person’s sole ability and entitlement to laugh. It is my belief that everyone requires a good laugh every now and again. I think that it is hard to maintain a positive, productive life without some form of comedy in one’s life. Comedy can help make situations less stressful. We can use laughter as a way to loosen tension, relieve stress, and forget about the hardships of everyday life. For this reason I hold a deep respect for all comedians out there, even the bad ones. Especially the bad ones.

We all have weight on our shoulders. Everybody builds up tension, anger, or any other negative emotions or thoughts. Maybe there are some family issues or stress at your job or school. Eventually you will have to calm down and let these feelings out, hopefully in a positive way. Watching a funny movie or a stand-up show can be a way to let go of all this reserved negativity. When we laugh, we temporarily forget about the negative thoughts we were focusing on. This is also a positive way of letting out our emotions without hurting ourselves or anyone else. If you collect and build up all of these emotions but never let them out, soon enough they will be forced to come out together in one big release. This wouldn’t be very good for you or those around you. You might end up verbally attacking an innocent person near you or shouting at someone for a simple mistake. Most people tend to say something like, “I’m sorry, it’s just that I’m really stressed right now.” which, in most cases, is true.

Who doesn’t love to laugh? When we smile and laugh we feel happier. It puts you in a positive state of mind. I honestly believe that if you are feeling crummy that you should just stop, take a couple of deep breaths and smile. Just smile at friends that you pass by during the day. I know that you will feel better. Hang out with your friends and laugh together. Laughter among a few individuals is healing and you will be put into a positive mind frame.

Also, sometimes there is a little bit of nervousness between individuals. For example, on a date you would need to find a way to “break the ice”. Tell a joke; laughing releases stress and makes one feel more comfortable. You might be nervous if you were starting a new job, meeting a new boss, or at an interview where you would need to make a first impression. Make a funny comment, but do not stray too far from seriousness. This will let the person know that you have a sense of humor, which you will someday come to realize, if you haven’t already, is a valued quality to have in life.

I personally can tell you that my happiest moments are when I am laughing. I love to laugh until I can feel those warm tears stream down my face. Or when I turn red from laughing so hard. Or when my laughing is reduced to silent fits where no sounds are coming forth from me. A group or collective laughter is the coolest thing because you know that everyone is laughing at the same thing, and therefore you connect with these individuals with whom you are sharing the joke. I also have this desire or requirement of myself to make others laugh. I love to make other people laugh. Laughing, I believe, is therapeutic. It is a basic requirement for a good, healthy day-to-day life. Laughing is a healthy, positive way to release stress and become more comfortable and relaxed. I believe that getting other people to laugh is also a way to make you feel good. I believe that comedy is a divine right. I respect comedians because getting up on stage in front of an audience and making everyone laugh is a difficult task. I admire their ability to make difficult or depressing subjects funny. I quote Carlos Mencia, a comedian: “If you ain’t laughin’, you ain’t livin’.” I wholeheartedly agree with this statement and will choose to live my life by this, this I believe.