Troops Should Come Home

Joel - Eagle, Idaho

My cousin Noah is in the marines. He has been in Iraq for about one month and I write to him about once a week. It’s been really hard for his mom because he wrote back to us telling that he has to go to a very active part of Baghdad. It’s very dangerous and if he’s not careful the unthinkable might happen.

My cousin Noah is very popular when he is home in Boise. When he’s in town everyday is a party. He tells a bunch of funny stories that can make anyone laugh until it hurts. He kind of acts like he can beat anyone up and is loud and obnoxious but he’s good at heart and wouldn’t hurt a fly unless the insulted his friends or his momma. Actually that’s a lie. He’s always getting into fights at bars and my Aunt is constantly scared that he will end up in jail. When he is home he hangs out with me a lot. Even though there’s an age difference and stuff. But he’s never mean to me and I don’t think someone like that or anyone for that matter should have to stay in a crap hole like Iraq for months on end. The way I see it, those troops need to be in America protecting and serving here. It would be safer and, I think, more effective than having numerous soldiers killed outside of the country. Keep them here until the fight is brought here or the danger level is high and everyone knows it.

Keeping soldiers here would also prevent the hearts of thousands of families from being broken too. I don’t think keeping the soldiers there is worth that much pain either. This is actually the second time my cousin has been in Iraq. You could tell a difference in him when he came home. He seemed less happy and like the electricity had been drawn away from him. He seemed more violent like whatever he was doing he wanted to fight. I’m afraid, along with my mom and aunt, that the war changed him emotionally, making him more violent and angry. When he comes home for the last time though I think he will change back to his normal self.

In conclusion my belief is that troops need to come home to their families. Noah’s mom, my mom, and me miss him very much and want to see him return safely which should be sometime in November or December. We are going to go to California when he gets here so we can watch him get off the plane. Until then I’ll just keep writing and praying he’s all right.