Elizabeth - Garland, Texas

Many years ago, my Spanish teacher, Mrs. Wilson taught me a valuable lesson. I had a personal problem that I had reduced to two choices: either this or that. Ms. Wilson advised me to “pretend” that neither of these “solutions” was allowed and see what solution emerged. I did, and uncovered a much better solution. Instead of marrying this boy or the other one, I went to college and married neither.

I believe, that the WAY in which I seek solutions to problems, more than anything else, determines the resulting quality of the solutions that I uncover. If, instead being open to any possibility, I begin by postulating that I have a choice between one of two obvious choices such as EITHER cut and run OR stay and kill and be killed; or marry this one or that one–then I have severely crippled the opportunity for what might be uncovering a much better solution.

I believe that we should encourage all we meet to get out of the rut of either/or thinking.

After all, we do live in a Baskin Robbins universe and there are many more choices available to us than merely chocolate or vanilla. Be open to the possibility of pistachio—that’s my motto. Thank you, Mrs. Wilson, where ever you are, for the great lesson you taught me over 30 years ago.