Tom - Mechanisburg, Pennsylvania

This I Believe.

I believe in the power of Faith.

It hasn’t always been so for me; however, life experiences have led me to become a person of faith. For most of my life, my belief system had been something like, “Look-Out-For-Number-One.” I rejected and resented religion. Who were these “people” to tell me what to believe, anyway?

Although I wasn’t sure if there was a God, deep inside I believed that there must be. Still, I denied God.

Eventually I reached a threshold. My way just wasn’t working. I was lost, alone and lonely. Spiritually empty, I turned to faith. Everything had failed. I surrendered. This was not “conversion.” Change did not occur in a moment, but in a moment, I believed. I began to have faith. Not in religion. Not necessarily in God. But I began to have faith in something that wasn’t me; something more powerful than my self. From there, for me, faith developed over time.

I have become “religious” over time; however, today my faith is more than religious dogma. The word “religion” means “what we do.” Not “what we believe.”

I have come to believe these words from the Apostle’s Creed, which, for me, sum it up beautifully:

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ.

I believe in the Holy Spirit.

How can I know these things for certain?

I can not know these things for certain. I could be wrong about what I believe. That is the mystery of faith.

So, what if I am wrong? All that kneeling and praying for nothing!

Nothing?

What harm is done, if I am wrong?? It seems to me, that if my faith, if what I believe, is really a big mistake, it will have been the most wonderful mistake I have ever made. In it I find peace, comfort, and purpose.

Purpose? What purpose is there?

My purpose, I believe, is that I was created to be God’s friend. And His friend I am. My religion, my faith, what I believe in, is not religion. It is a relationship, a relationship that continues to grow, as I grow deeper in my faith.

This I believe.