Ryan - Saint Louis, Missouri
Themes: tolerance

Teenagers, of our time, are often confused about what they believe. Some feel persuaded by parents, teachers, or role models and feel obligated to believe what they do. On the other hand, others feel taken advantage of when people try to convey their beliefs on them, they run in the opposite direction. So many times we hear people’s beliefs. It is ingrained in our culture for people all over the world to express their beliefs to whoever will listen. Whether we hear it in the Nicene Creed or popular songs like, “I believe I can fly” we are being influenced every day, sometimes without even recognizing it. I have spent a considerable amount of time thinking about the concept of beliefs. Beliefs are so controversial because not everyone will ever believe the same thing. Take our lunch table for example. Our close-knit group of friends that we hang out with every weekend constantly argues about almost any issue you can think of. This is hard for me to take in. If a group of very close friends argue vehemently about what they feel is right, what is going to happen when enemies state their opinion? Well, unfortunately, the answer to this question has already been answered. Turn on any news channel and you will see the violence that has swept our world. The brutal part of the matter is that a lot of them are over religious beliefs! I believe that religions are supposed to be guides that help us to live the best life we could possibly live. Religion should not be the reason why millions of people are killed. Some wonder why there is so much violence in the world. I believe the answer to this is that people are insecure. People are too scared to hear anything that would come in contrast to their beliefs. Being a Catholic, I believe that to truly strengthen my faith, I must question it time after time. I challenge you the next time you run into a different set of beliefs that you respect them and hear them out. Use the insecurity, the doubt, to further strengthen your faith. I truly believe that when everyone can in fact accept and respect one another’s beliefs that there will be peace in our world at last!