The Power of Words

Nathan - St. Louis, Missouri

I believe in the power of words. In this day and age when reading, especially by my forgotten generation, is frowned upon the power of words could never be of more importance. Words can start a war just as easily as they can end one, words can open our minds or close them, they can bring laughter or sadness to our faces and hope or despair to our hearts. Words, in short, have a power that transcends the power of laws, the power of militaries, or the power of institutions. Every set of laws, stretching from Hammurabi’s to the Constitution we know today all have one thing in common, that they were made up of words. All holy books have one thing in common, that they were made up of words. All poetry, song, literature works, languages, all of these things would not exist if words did not exist.

There is a quote from the movie V for Vendetta which is one of my favorite quotes of all time. It goes, “Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.” I believe I’m one of the people who listen. And if only the people of my generation were listeners also and truly realized the power of words and used them effectively then that would be the day that we would stop waiting for the world to change and instead making the world change. We would make these changes peacefully by harnessing the power of words, not the powers of war. I live my life by trying to harness the power of words and hopefully one day using it to make an impact in the world I live in today. Hopefully that impact starts now.