Life is Good

Stephanie - Collierville, Tennessee
Themes: gratitude

Nobody is going to have a perfect, bump-free life. If you do, I feel sorry for you, because those bumps define who you are. I believe you can use these hardships either to make you realize how blessed you are or allow them to drag down your whole outlook on life.

At age seven, life was pretty great for me. I lived in a nice big house with a pool, my mom stayed home and made a snack that would be waiting for me after school everyday, and my biggest care in the world was if I was going to get to be the pink Power Ranger that day. My dad was home by six and we would sit down and eat yet another homemade meal prepared by my mom. So you could imagine when they told me I was going to have a baby sister, too I was thinking, “Could this life get any better?” Well, God was going to shake things up a bit.

Fast forward about a year. I had attended my baby sister’s funeral, moved from Memphis to Michigan for three months just to move back to Memphis, my parents had divorced, and my dad lived about a million miles away in Detroit instead of the mere 30 minutes at the office that had once seemed too long. After moving back to Memphis, my mom had to get a job and I was put into day-care after school. Goldfish and apple juice replaced still-warm out of the oven brownies and milk. My huge house with a pool was replaced with a two bedroom apartment with no room for the sister I was promised a year earlier. My life was turned upside down and I was a walking ad for a soon-to-be psychologically troubled teen. Somehow, I managed to escape that.

I could have looked back on all that happened in that year and feel cheated or tormented by wondering what could have happened if things had just stayed the same, but I chose to let those hard times mold and shape me into who I am today, and for the better. I look back now and feel blessed to have a welcoming home, a caring mother, and the memory of a sister that won’t ever die.

I believe life is what you make of it; I believe life is good. If you think I’m kidding, look at my car, purse, binders, and room which are all plastered with the slogan that serves daily to remind me that things aren’t so bad. You can get upset and mad with circumstances and the way things worked out and let it haunt you the rest of your life and leave you bitter, or you can use them to shape you into a more appreciative person and realize the life that you live IS good. I believe that choice is yours.