matthew - saint louis, Missouri

I believe that receiving a private education is a better life experience than that of a public education, specifically Chaminade. Attending a private school is a privilege and should be taken seriously because of the financial standards and educational requirements. As a Marianist school, Chaminade strives for formation in faith, providing an integral, quality education, education in family spirit, education in service, justice, and peace, and finally adaptation and change. First and foremost, I believe the size of the student body as well as the single sex within the classroom allow for a better learning experience. As a result, there is no distraction from the opposite sex and allows for a more focused environment inside the classroom. Since the student body is smaller, it allows for smaller classes, lending itself to better one on one interaction with the teacher. From my personal experience, I believe the teachers also feel responsible in developing the whole individual, not just ones education. For example, my teachers teach discipline, demand respect, and encourage self development. By teaching me discipline and demanding respect, it forces me to grow up as an individual and become a man, “Esto Vir”. Also, my teachers stress the importance on class participation and helped me realize that students control how successful each class can be. In addition, the class/block schedule enables a student to delve deeper into a particular course, as well as providing a good foundation for learning how to organize ones time. I also believe that religion is an important element in developing ones character at Chaminade. It doesn’t matter whether you are Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Jewish, or any faith– it gives one a foundation of what is right and wrong, morally and ethically. I believe that in today’s society, one is constantly being challenged to take the easy path, not necessarily the right one. In conclusion, being able to manage your time and how you conduct yourself becomes an important necessity when entering the college life because there is nobody to hold your hand and guide you to success.