Kevin - St. Louis, Missouri

Goodbye. Adiós. Au revoir. Arrivederci. It doesn’t matter what language you say it in, I believe you should always say goodbye. This may seem like a small task that is often neglected and forgotten about, but it can truly change the course of ones life if it is not looked at with care.

I am an eighteen year old adolescent who is gracious for the opputunities that have been presented to him. I have a great family who lives in a nice house in a good neighborhood. I have been graced with the chance to attend private schools throughout my whole life. All of this has been given to me because of the dedication my parents put into their jobs and lives. It is unfortunate that my life has been changed by a simple phrase that I wish I said when I had the chance.

I was only six years old when my father passed away. I don’t remember much from that year, but I distinctly remember the day he died. I was getting ready for school with my brother as my dad put on his socks. We both watched as he fell back onto his bed and we sprinted to his side. While we watched his eyes close the only thing I could think of saying was, “Well, I guess we better call the ambulance.” At such a young age I couldn’t comprehend the situation. It never even crossed my mind to say goodbye to him. It was almost as if I didn’t believe what was happening at the time and my mind just told me to do what is logical. Although we can say goodbye in many different ways, none of them came into my head at a time when it mattered most.

I have learned not to take things for granted in my life because of this experience. It has taught me that every relationship should be taken seriously because you never know when that person will be gone. Whether it is to end a brief conversation or a lifetime apart, I believe a simple“goodbye” is in order. So adiós, au revoir, arrivederci and goodbye.