Camille - Henderson, Nevada

I believe that EVERYTHING happens for a reason

Before I begin I would just like to say that this has not only been the hardest assignment I have had to do, but it has also been one of the hardest things in my short life for me to do. I am here to tell you that I believe that everything happens for a reason. The hardest part is waiting to find out what that reason is. My mother lost my twin a few months before giving birth to me. The day she lost her, she was told that I would not make it through the night. A few months later I was born and I was blessed with a birth defect. Being born with a cleft palette and a cleft lip I have been forced to have more surgeries than most people will have throughout their entire lives. These surgeries have altered not only my face, but my perception on life. The doctors blamed my twin, they said that when she passed that I was devastated and that she was the reason for my birth defect. For almost 20 years I blamed my twin, I blamed my mom, I blamed my dad and the worst part is, I blamed myself. I felt alone, like I was the only person with a birth defect. I felt like I was unimportant and that I would never be successful due to this. I just couldn’t understand why I was born this way and why I had to go through this. Yet, through the loss of her and being born the way it has made me everything I am today. It has helped me grow and it has forced me to love myself for who I am. In the past year I have lost and gained friends. I have shed tears and fears; I had a car crash and another few surgeries. Without these things I would not be the person I am today. I found myself driving aimlessly just a couple months ago and I realized I had found myself. I also realized that you can’t truly find yourself until you have hit rock bottom. At this point in my life, I had hit rock bottom. I knew I couldn’t fully stand until I had fallen so hard that I was unsure that I would ever stand again. I am now standing and living for myself and nobody else. I refuse to settle for anything less than everything and to this I thank my birth defect. I also thank my parents for everything they have done for me, and I thank my twin for allowing me to live my life on my own. I believe that I would not be standing here today if she was here. I am the strongest person I know. I have overcome every obstacle that has tried to conquer me. I could never have a single regret because I know that with every move and every word, it was supposed to happen, it was supposed to be said. Good or bad. I was also blessed with 3 brothers and sisters and without them I would be nothing. They have changed my life for the better and they have always been there when times got bad. For these six blessings I know that they were supposed to be here with me. They are the sun in my life and so is my twin. I am determined to make my own way in this crazy life and unafraid to let my emotions bleed through my every move and my every word because everything happens for a reason… and no matter what happens… it was supposed to. THIS i Believe.