Mar - Congers, New York

I believe in the Loch Ness monster. Not because of the Surgeon’s photo, not because of the impressive Dragon’s Head, but because no one can prove to me that Nessie does not exist. Let me be clear. Nessie is not just a plesiosaur in the bottom of a lake somewhere north of Glasgow. She is possibility. She is everything that requires faith for its very existence. Angels, miracles, ghost stories, and the potential of a human being are all things that I believe in. I know so many superstitious people, but plenty of them wouldn’t admit it. Certainly not on public radio. Yet, I take pride in my ridiculous convictions!

Superstition is defined as an irrational belief. If that’s the case, then I see no difference between believing in the Loch Ness monster and a child believing that she can be president someday. The unknown is what human beings thrive on. Imagine the endless possibilities of a single day, the chance to win the lottery, prayers for sick friends at church, and the awe inspired by a ghastly campfire tale.

We are so occupied by worries that we no longer have time to make wishes upon stars. I believe that it is important for people to remain in awe of the rest of the world. Many people have reached a sorry state in which only the inconveniences of their day to day lives hold any meaning for them. I will maintain my sense of wonder.

After my grandmother passed away just before Christmas in 2004, we began to say that she was watching over us. For me, the mysterious scent of lit cigarettes and the strange behavior of our dogs whenever they neared her favorite seat simply confirmed our theory. When I traveled to the UK two years ago, I was frightened to death the night we stayed in a “haunted” hotel. Last year, I was assigned to write an informative speech. I chose to elucidate for my class the subject of UFOs and the on-goings in Roswell, New Mexico. Feel free to call me a quack. But at least I have fun. There’s more to my beliefs than that, though. I am neither a conspiracy freak nor a peddler of fairy tales. What I believe in is faith and its ancestor, hope.

In a day and age when people don’t even have the faith for something as big and normal as God, I’m glad I can still believe in dragons. Although I have no proof, aliens have made contact, I have an angel watching over me, and there is a monster hiding in Scotland. I believe in Nessie, and everything she stands for.