Scott - Chesterfield, Missouri

I am a high school senior at an all boys catholic school in St. Louis Missouri. I believe in freedom and freedom of belief. God created humanity as a free thinking race free to make their own choices and although I believe there is one ultimate power, it may be God but who truly knows, I also believe that people have the freedom to choose what they believe in. My views in faith may are rooted in Catholicism but there are many things that I don’t see eye to eye with when it comes to the Church. Having an uncle who is homosexual it is unacceptable that Church teaches that two men or two women cannot marry or truly love one another. Love is love in any way, shape, or form and certain forms of love should not be deemed wrong, what kind of God would create such a world. Those in the church who see it as wrong are closed minded and are blinded by bigotry. I am also at odds with the church when it comes to stem cell research. How could someone consider cells in a Petri dish be considered a human being? With a grandfather suffering from severe alzheimer’s the potential to bring his mind back to the way it was years ago is uplifting. Stem cells offer that chance. My biggest argument against the church is its institutionalization. I don’t believe that salvation rests in going to church, praying certain prayers, singing certain songs, kneeling and sitting in certain ways, and eating certain things. I believe that faith comes from inside yourself, it’s not a man in a hat or a bunch of old men telling you how to live your life, what’s right and wrong, how to be “saved”. If you live a good life and are good to those around you that, I believe, is where salvation rests. Just as Siddhartha himself journeyed to find faith so must an individual find their belief for themselves. My views are my own and I do not ask anyone to agree with them, belief is for you to find.