Lisa - adrain, Michigan

This I belive

As a country, our beliefs are as individual as we are. I believe in miracles because our family has been graced with two miracles; my mother and sister. My mother has overcome multiple sclerosis. My sister has survived a severe case of spinal meningitis. These wonderful phenomena have shown me that grace and miraculous wonders will always exist.

What really is multiple sclerosis? Multiple sclerosis is an inflammatory disease of the Central Nervous System, which is the brain and spinal cord. Predominantly, it is a disease of the “white matter” tissue. The white matter is made up of nerve fibers which are responsible for transmitting communication signals both internally within the CNS and between the CNS and the nerves supplying rest of the body. Some studies show that people experience their first symptoms of MS between the ages of 20 and 40; the initial symptom of MS is often blurred or double vision, red-green color distortion, or even blindness in one eye. Most MS patients experience muscle weakness in their extremities and difficulty with coordination and balance.

My mother was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis seven years ago; however, she suffered from several symptoms for six years before her diagnosis. For three years, she suffered tremendously. Many days she couldn’t make it out of bed or take care of herself. When she was feeling up to leaving the house, she was in a wheelchair, unable to walk on her own. Although se had the support from the MS foundation, family and our friends, she was not getting any better.

My mother was on medications that the doctors had given her but they only seemed to make her sicker. Then one night my father was talking to our good friend Sue. Sue was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis three years before my mother was. Sue had told my father about some herbal pills that she had been taking for two years. My mother and father had decided to try the herb since the medication wasn’t working. After waiting six weeks to get the medication out of her system, within one year of taking the herbs, she began to function better.

Some people think that multiple sclerosis is not a big thing, but it really is. When my mother first went to the doctors, there were three other patients with multiple sclerosis. They were all diagnosed at the same time. One patient died from heart complications, one committed suicide and the last one is alive but living in a nursing home. With the love and support of her friends, family, and the help of the herbs my mother was able to avoid their fate. Even though it may seem that she lives a completely normal life, my mother also has bad days. On these days, she is unable to talk, eat, bathe herself, walk unaided or go to the bathroom alone. Thankfully, the majority of her days are good. When my mother has a good day she is able to talk, eat, bathe her self, walk, drive and go to the bathroom on her own. Our family is very thankful that she has more good days then bad days.

With having to see my mother go though her multiple sclerosis at such a young age, made me believe that bad things happen even to good families. My sister Casey is anther example of that on why I believe in miracle. Our family has truly been graced with both my mothers and my sister’s miracle. To my family and me, my sister Casey is a miracle. When my sister was three months old, my mother had taken Casey to the hospital. My sister was running a tremendously high fever. My mother found out that Casey had spinal meningitis; it was caused from the required immunization shots. Shortly after Casey had received her immunization shot, she started to run a fever. When Casey was running her tremendously high fever, it caused her to become partially deaf and developed brain damage. Casey had to stay in the hospital until she was seven months old. Casey had to adapt to everything had happened to her.

When Casey was a year old, the doctor had told our mother that they feared Casey would be an invalid. The doctors and my mother feared that Casey would never be able to function on her own. Throw the years Casey continued to improve and prove the doctors wrong. Casey garishly started to improve. Casey started to be able to do things on her own. Casey had proved the doctors and my mother that she can do anything that she puts her mind too. Twenty-one years later Casey lives in an apartment with her boyfriend. She lives in Lansing and is very responsible. Casey holds down a job and is very independent.

My mother’s battle with multiple sclerosis and my sister’s survival with spinal meningitis have thought me to believe in miracles. When your family has been graced with two miracles, then you should believe. I believe that miracles really do occur everyday. I feel that if people just believe enough, anything can happen. This has made me believe in miracles. Any family can be blessed with a miracle. Just pray to god every night and have hope that your family will be graced just like mine has been.