Kenneth - Kansas City, Missouri

What someone believes is a very broad subject. There are so many things to believe in. Any one person could believe in god, the devil, worship plants, animals, planets, or things no one has ever heard of. I asked a few people what they believed. Most of them responded with religion in some form, others responded in other people. I believe determination pays off in the end.

A few years ago a neighbor down the street was selling his car, a 1991 Honda Prelude. It was a beautiful car, bright red, 5 speed, flawless body, and low miles. I remember the first thought that went through my head when I saw it. “I want that car.” I also remember telling my dad, “I will own a Prelude if not that one. Then I will own a different Prelude at some point in my life.” I was bound and determined to have that car. While in the end I didn’t own that car, I did own a 1985 Prelude. Sure it wasn’t that one for sale at the end of the street. It had rust and a lot more miles on it. To me it was more than a car; it was my “dream car”. It was the one thing I had to own at that time, and I did. My determination was the “driving” force behind it all. It’s all I wanted; I had to have that car. It took 6 months and two jobs; but I did buy, own, and maintain that car with every penny I had and loved every moment in that car.

This is about more than the car. It’s about the force and the desire that lead me to own that car. If I hadn’t wanted it so badly, then I wouldn’t have gone after it. Determination has pushed me to do better things in my life than buy a car. It pushed me into earning my G.E.D. as well as enrolling into college.

Determination is a power force that can carry a man to the farthest reaches of his imagination. Determination is how I got into college. Determination is also how I’m going to graduate college. So I can make a comfortable life for myself and my fiancé; and to have a better life for my family than I had. My determination is how I’m going to achieve my goals. This force much like a conscious is inside everyone clawing to get out. It is the drive to achieve the goals you want, the strength to do it, and the determination to see it through to the end.