Michael - St. Louis/MO, Missouri
Themes: change, respect, war

Basic military training teaches many vital skills that are important in our modern day world. These skills, if were given to everyone in real-life would be a benefit to all of mankind. It is because of these things that I believe that it should be a requirement for every man to go through basic military training. I believe this because the training shapes the body and teaches important life skills that can be used in the modern world, and because it could greatly benefit society and the world.

First, the training trains your body and institutes many life skills that can be used in this world. The intense training not only help in getting accustomed to the battlefield but, in addition shapes the body both physically and mentally. The low-self esteem issues of being weak or obese would virtually vanish. Mentally, you would gain a since of respect toward everyone because you know they’re counting on you and likewise you are counting on them. Friendship as well as a stronger sense of team work grows out of mutual respect for one another, but the greatest skill that can be learned from the experience is discipline. Having a great sense of discipline can benefit everyone. If everyone had a great sense of discipline society, and ultimately the world would be a much better place.

Second, both society and the world could benefit greatly from it. Imagine having workers give the same amount of respect to their bosses as they would their own commader and likewise with bosses. Not only would this increase trust between bosses and their employess but the productivity and morale of the workers would skyrocket because of the great respect both employee and employer share. Amongst all workers their would be a general respect for one another and because of this workplaces and it’s workers could potentially be seen as having a second home and family by employees and bosses. Not only would it make the atmosphere of work less tense but would also develop a greater sense of teamwork and unity. However, not only would life in workplaces change due to basic military training but life on earth would change for the better. In this male dominated society the leaders of the world are mostly spoiled, rich, men who make decisions without even weighing the potential consequences and long term effects. Now imagine if all the world leaders were to gain the skills gained from doing basic military training. No longer would global decisions be based on emotions, and motives such as revenge, but would be based on what is best for the present and what is best for the future.

In conclusion, it is because of these reasons that I believe that everyone should go through basic military training. Not only because it instills discipline plus other necessary life skills, and not only because it can benefit society and the world, but mainly because it can give all of mankind control over destiny.