Jonathan - Pleasant Hill, California
Themes: carpe diem

I believe my life is only one second long. That’s right, my life is only as long as this second right now. I try to remember this, but sometimes I forget. When I believe this, it helps me to do the right thing. I don’t always do the right thing, that’s usually when I forget. Believing that my life is only one second long also helps me to enjoy my life. I don’t always enjoy my life. When I wake up in the morning, I’m usually grouchy, very grouchy. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, worried about something and feeling anxious. These are the times when I’m unhappy. But once I get up and get going, the unhappiness usually goes away.

In my office I have a saying that I read every day when I get to school. It says; “This moment is a gift, that is why they call it THE PRESENT!” Some people think that the word present has two meanings. One of the meanings of the word present is like when it’s your birthday, and your friends come to your house, and they bring you something special just for you, wrapped up in some fun wrapping paper. Yes, that’s definitely a present. The other meaning of the word present is what is happening right now. For example, I am speaking to all of you in our cafeteria and you are all listening to me, and by the way, you are all listening very well. So that which is happening right now, that is also the present. But being with you right now for me is like getting a gift. Each second that we are sharing together is a gift, a present.

I believe the present, the right now, is a present. You can’t really measure the present, the right now, in terms of time. It’s not like measuring how long it takes to run a 100 meter race. There is no start and finish time for the right now. Sometimes in science fiction movies they stop time, but that’s just the movies. Plus that just looks like the people in the movie are playing freeze tag. So we can’t stop this moment, this second.

What I believe is my life is just as long as this one second right now. Everything I do and say is happening right now. I can see it happening, feel it happening and it is always happening right now. When I recognize this, I get very happy. It’s like the happiness you feel when you get a present. Well for me, that’s the happiness I feel, the getting a present happiness. That’s why I believe, this second, this one second right now, is my whole life. Yes it is, my whole life is this one second, and I’m happy. One second, right now, being happy.