God in the Christian Family

Robert - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: Christianity

Religion has played a significant role in my childhood. From my early years as a kindergartner to my chaotic experience as a senior, Christianity has shaped how I reason and understand the world. From the first time I began studying Christ in P.S.R., I became curious about the attraction Christianity possesses. After receiving first communion I became one step closer to witnessing the power that religion holds.

A primary factor in my involvement with religion came from my Mother. Raised in a Catholic-Irish environment, my mother was constantly exposed to Christianity. Therefore, she exposed me to the fascinating aspects of Catholicism. Seeing the mystery behind my religion has compelled me to understand more about the Church. After learning about the fundamentals of my religion at Chaminade, I was inspired to question some of the Catholic Church’s most rudimental ideas. One in particular, the idea of evolution, has grasped my attention. One excellent aspect behind religion, in particular Christianity, is that it allows a second side to an idea or theory. I witness the two sided argument more in science than in any other field of study.

My greatest interest, in discovering the arguments of the Church, is the question of evolution. Science has intrigued me my entire life because of its precision, understanding, audacity, and effect on mankind. Therefore, I wanted to understand the difference between the evolutionary process through the eyes of a scientist and through the mind of a Catholic lay person. Realizing that both powers provided great support for their argument taught me that accepting one answer as final would prove erroneous.

Along with shaping my life and causing me to question, religion has served as an existential tool. Many religious followers constantly question their existence: Why am I here? Who am I? What is my purpose? Without these questions, human pursuit to achieve a greater “awareness” of the universe would cease to exist. In my recent experiences with religion, I have been taught to open my mind and fully embrace the message being conveyed through Catholicism.

In all, existing as a part of a Catholic nation has a served a purpose that I will not understand until I have passed from earth. Religion can save, inspire, confuse, and anger those who participate. However, the greatest lesson that Catholicism can teach is Love. Love of neighbor, of self, of God, and of life. Seeing the world through the eyes of a Catholic will allow one to truly experience the power of Love.