Matthew - St. Louis, Missouri

I Believe Because It’s True

I recently had a discussion with my mom. She asked me these series of questions: Do you believe in Jesus? Yes. Do you believe in Satan? Yes. Do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God? Yes. Heaven and Hell? Yes. Why? The only answer I could think of at that moment was because I was born and raised Catholic, went to Catholic grade school and a Christian high school. It’s what ive always been taught. When I told her this it distressed her. After talking with her I realized why I believe what I believe. It’s because it’s true, not because its what im told.

So why do I believe what I believe? If I grew up being taught that African American’s weren’t really people because of the color of their skin, I would likely believe that. But once I reached the age where I start thinking on my own and questioning my beliefs I would come to the conclusion that that’s not true. I think that people should believe things based on what they know is true. Sure, the fact that I don’t know everything about Jesus means I have to rely on faith in parts of the story, but many parts have been proven. If I choose to believe what people tell me to believe, I have to have a real reason why, not because im just told it. Having beliefs shapes an entire life. I will make huge decisions based on what I believe in, like my future career, or my religious practice.

One of my good friends started getting into hardcore drugs and alcoholism. It was testing a belief of mine that I’ve stood by for as many years as I can remember. The body is a temple and we should treat it like one. The event really made me question my beliefs. As much as I would hate to turn in a good friend, I would hate much more for him to lose his life to something so stupid. My belief held strong. The belief I formed on my own, not the belief I was forced to have. I had to turn in a friend and at the time I lost that friend because of his resentment that I got him help. Hopefully some day he will realize the reason why I did it. So this I believe, that a real belief is something I know is true and will shape my life as many years as I live.