Cynthia - Minneola, Florida
Themes: love

Do you believe in the power of love? I do. Over the last few years, love has been a defining factor in my life. I do not think I would have made it this far without loving and being loved in return. My foundation of love has been built upon a tragedy that struck my family three years ago. It has brought us undeniably closer in many ways, yet irreparably different in many others. I rely on the love of my family, my friends, and my boyfriend to get me through each and every day.

Close to three years ago, my two year old niece died in a car accident. It was a life altering blow to my family. We were left shattered, stunned, and in complete shock. It was at that point in my life that I discovered that there is nothing more important in life than love. If you have love in your heart, you can get through anything. My family and I became a tight-knit unit. We tried to keep in touch as much as possible and tell each other often how much we love each other. After all, we better than anyone, realized how short life could be.

However, over the past few years, we have greatly grown apart. Mainly this is due to differences of opinions and not being able to put our past prejudices behind us. This has depressed me in many ways, but when I’m not feeling the love in my family, I always have my wonderful boyfriend and friends to fall back on. Without them, I would only be half a person. I have done things since the passing of my niece that I thought no one would forgive me for. But there my friends are, everyday, waiting to give me comfort and support.

My boyfriend, especially, is a major reason that I believe in the power of love. Our relationship has been rocky from the start, mainly due to the disapproval of my family. However, he is there by my side everyday, refusing to give up or stop loving me. I know in my heart that he is, along with my mother, my main reason for living.

Many people may believe love is a fairy tale, or a feeling that will only get you hurt. That may work for them. But for me, I know that love is the ultimate power. Without love, we would cease to exist as fully functioning human beings. What does love mean to you?