John - Chesterfield, Missouri
Themes: children, family

I believe the importance of a close family is key for children to have a good childhood. I have been privileged to live in a household were my entire family is very close; we talk on a daily basis, eat dinner together and go to each others sporting events. Even though all my cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents live in Baltimore and Boston, we travel to each place at least once a year to see them. Being able to see my relatives at least once a year helps keep our relationship going and close, we talk on the phone and on aim, but for that week or two that we are with them we are extremely close and do every thing together.

Studies show that kids who have a single parent or their parents are devoiced have a greater chance of going to jail, dropping out of high school or college, etc. I feel that some of the reason that I have never really been in trouble is because of my family and how close we are. I can talk to my parents about any thing no matter how bad or good it is and they will support me and try to help me fix the problem that I am having. Even though I may not always make the correct decision I know that my family is there to support me and because we are so close I believe that is why I feel this way. Communication is they most important thing for a family to be close. If a child can not go and talk to his mom or dad about a problem that he is having at school or with his friends then where is he going to go to get these answers?

The events that have brought my family so close have been the death of my grand parents. My maternal grandfather died on August 20, 1987 so I never got to see him nor did any of my other cousins. But through pictures and stories we can know what kind of person he was. My maternal grandmother died on March 22, 2007, we were all very close to her and her unexpected death shocked us all, but we all stuck together and we got through it and we have become much closer since that day. My father’s parents died in 2004 and 2005. My fraternal grandfather had Alzheimer’s and battled it for about ten years so his death wasn’t as unexpected because he was getting worse and worse each year. My fraternal grandmother’s death was because her heart failed after five heart attacks and a triple bi-pass. Just as with the death of my mother’s parents, my father’s side stuck together and became very close.

To conclude, having a strong family bond is key for children. It gives them a place for them to go when they need help, comfort, and guidance in their life. Those reasons are why I believe a close family is important.