Steven - St Louis, Missouri

Throughout my entire life questions of religion have been a difficult issue for me. Right now, at this point in my life, I do believe in God. I think that there must be some kind of divine power out there that controls us. We exist on this earth to know, love, and serve God. I believe that Jesus died on the cross for all of our sins so that we can go to heaven. Because of God’s mercy we are saved from sin and will be able to spend eternity with him in heaven.

When I was a child, my family would attend mass every Sunday. This was just the natural weekend routine. I would just stand there in church, participate in all the songs, prayers, responses, but I never really applied myself in the mass and tried to get anything out of it. As I grew older, I began to actually try to understand and comprehend the usual prayers and responses.

In the eighth grade, the time came around for me to make my confirmation. This really made me question my faith. I had been going to church, but did I truly believe in God? It was very hard for me to make this decision. For most of the other kids in my confirmation class, this decision meant nothing to them. They said that they believed in God because they thought it was the right thing to do or because they didn’t want to go to hell. They never really gave the issue any thought. I continued through the process, but still couldn’t say that I believed whole-heartedly in God. Finally, I decided that I would follow through with the process and I made my confirmation.

As a kid, I was taught that if you do good deeds you will go to heaven. As I grew up, I started to believe the having faith is more important than just good deeds. “For God so loved the world that he sent his only son, so that those who believe in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” This bible verse says that those who believe in him, not those who are nice and do good actions, will go to heaven. I think that the Catholic Church puts too much emphasis on being a good person and not enough stress on actually having faith.

Although I can say that I believe in God, I still have some doubts. I believe that it is good to have questions and uncertainties about your faith. When you have the doubts it is necessary for you to reaffirm you beliefs and it will lead you to an even stronger belief. It will ultimately help us grow closer in our relationship with God.