Rebekah - USA
Themes: respect

One aspect of having good character is to be a respectful person. Therefore, a person of disrespect could be classified as a person of bad character. So in order to refrain from having such a label placed over ones name, we must make ourselves aware of ways that disrespect can come about. One method of disrespect that can often be over looked is when a person “makes fun of” or judges an elderly or handicapped person. I firmly believe that such acts of disrespect should be considered unacceptable to everyone. The reason I believe so firmly in taking a stand against such acts is because, first, some day everyone will be considered an elderly person. Secondly, at any given point in time we, too, could become handicapped.

Making fun of an elderly person is like making fun of a glimpse of ones very own future. Sometimes, as younger adults or teenagers, we may view the actions of an elderly person as very strange and something to laugh at, but in all actuality it is very rude. You never know what actions you will take part in when you become of that age. Whether we like the thought, or not, it is a reality we all must face, we will age. Therefore, why make fun of someone who is just living life as they know it. We will most likely be in their exact position some day. It is highly unacceptable to me to treat elderly people rudely or disrespectfully because we will all eventually be there too. There is no need to make fun of them just because of their age.

The majority of us should all consider ourselves rather lucky, that God happened to choose us, as the ones to be born, as what the world views, as “normal”. With two arms, two legs, ten fingers, and ten toes, and all the other normal functioning body parts, this can sometimes cause us to stand a little too tall on our block of pride. Just because we were lucky enough to be born normal, without being handicapped, does not give us an excuse to look down upon, or talk badly about, others who are handicapped. At any given moment, whether it is a fire or car accident, our fragile bodies could become handicapped in some way. It is so incredibly rude, for us to think it is ok, to make fun of someone, who in a split second, we could become a mirror image of. Then what, do we make fun of ourselves, too? I can hardly imagine. We shouldn’t forget about mental handicaps as well. One, who is handicapped, in such a way, can not help it. Why are we judging their character and behavior? Maybe we should take a look at our own.

I believe it is extremely rude for us to treat elderly and handicap people with disrespect. One day all of us will be old, and at any given moment we could easily become handicapped. So why don’t we take all the energy we waste on making fun of such people, and in turn love them and thank the heavenly father above, that he chose us to be merciful to.