Robert - Hanceville, Alabama
Themes: legacy

I believe that the greatest treasure hunts ever undertaken take place every day by ordinary people. Without great danger or ordeal or expense, they feret out the clues, read the maps, locate allies, and bring back gems beyond price for all of us to share for all time.

These armchair Indiana Joneses seek out historical mysteries and their respective answers through local and family history research. Some hunters only want to know the truth; other seekers will leave published legacies for future fellow travelers. Many of these adventurers will also leave legends of their respective journeys.

Such travels can take one to exotic places in the present, or through imagination, in the past. The path will take the researcher to cemeteries, libraries, archives, courthouses, and historic sites. Along the way, very different people with whom to share experiences, finds, ideas, and good stories will appear and their comradeship becomes still another reward for these grand efforts.

Such real high adventure lacks the menace and the simplistic plot to make a movie or a best selling book. The hunter and finder of our mutual past, however, hardly needs either. He and she and they have lived and lives the adventure.