I Believe in the Positive Force Inside Each of Us

Julie - Boca Raton, Florida

I am nearly 50 years old and it has taken me this long to come to the beliefs that I hold today. My beliefs are very simple. I believe that within each of us there is a positive force which we can use to generate positive energy to be kind, loving, and helpful to the societies in which we live. I don’t subscribe to a particular religion, even though I have tried to participate in several Christian religions. I was not raised with strong religious beliefs, so that’s probably why I found it difficult to accept many of the religious doctrines based upon faith (without scientific proof).

I do believe that healthy human beings are born with the desire to be kind and productive. I do not feel that it is necessary to live a perfect life but my guidelines for conduct are based on the effects of behavior on others, society, and the physical environment. I have also found that when I am kind and help others it makes me feel happy and satisfied, more so than if someone does something for me. I also found that if I stay busy and productive doing something that I enjoy, other people are more attracted to me (probably because I’m generating positive energy which seems to be an attractive force).

One other important concept that I utilize in my life is humor. I feel that humor is extremely powerful when used to relieve stress and put people at ease. It also helps to cope with difficult situations when you can see them in a humorous light. Sometimes people feel overwhelmed by life’s stresses and the many expectations that they feel others have for them and humor helps people forget and relax.

I also believe in enjoying nature. There is so much pleasure to be gained by taking a walk outside in a beautiful garden or watch a small animal enjoying his natural surroundings. It makes me feel part of the world when I experience nature first-hand. This is why I also feel that it is very important for humans to take care of their environment and use natural resources wisely.

In summary, I believe that the purpose of our lives is to contribute whatever we can to make the world a better place. Each one of us has individual talents and skills which we can develop so that we can contribute something to the world in which we live. When we feel that we are contributing to society then we feel like our lives are worthwhile.