Laurence - Berkeley, California
Themes: pleasure

I belive in ice cream. My wife and I were walking around the local high school track. She is in training for the 50 and older Professional Woman’s Tennis Tour. I walk to support her, but mostly to daydream, meditate, and listen for clipped conversations, as walking or running partners pass me by or I pass them.

On this particular walk I started passing an elderly couple. As I was passing them this is the clipped conversation I heard.

She said to him,”What would you like for lunch?” He indicated he did not want any lunch. She then said,”How adout getting some ice cream?” He said,”Yes that would be good thing.”

The invention of ice cream was a very good thing. It has rewarded generations of good deeds done, dates, birthday parties, coaches taking their young teams for a celebration, win or lose.

The invention of dynamite was a good thing, helping to build our railroads, skyscrapers, bridges, and tunnels. Then it got into the wrong hands and chaos and destruction became it’s focus.

The invention of radiation, was also a good thing, helping to diagnose illness with x-ray

and Cat scan imaging, helping to heal and cure cancer.

Then it got into the wrong hands, and although all the thunder and belligerence of the “Super Powers” has faded off the radar, what will become of 15,000 or more nuclear warheads dispersed around the world. How will they be maintained and for how long?

I went back to daydreaming. When I looked to see where the elderly couple might have been, they were gone.

In my reverie about how ice ceam parlors must have been two or three generations ago, I imagined a young man nervously asking his young date, “How about some ice cream?”, and she shyly saying back to him, “Yes, that would be a good thing.”

Please title this piece, “Clipped Conversations”

Thank you.