James - state College, Pennsylvania
Themes: carpe diem

Seizing the moment. Living for the now. Time is too short. People repeat these statements everyday, but how many people belive in what they preach. I do. I believe in not living for tommorow and cherishing today. The next is never promised to anyone. Not the next day, the next time, the next chapter, the next second and so on. So why do people put stuff off until later?

If you think about it, most of the time, the things people put on hold until later can be done now. When I say things that can be done now, I don’t just mean putting off paying that credit card bill, I’m also referring to small, almost meaningless things such as waiting to clean your room or putting your homework on the back burner until Sunday. The most common excuse for putting things off is laziness. Whats the main response to “Why didn’t you wash the dishes?”, “I really didn’t feel like it.” or “I’ll do it later.” ( Well in my house, either one of those answers left you toothless.)

Even though putting off some things seems meaningless, just imagine how much extra time you would have. Just think about how much stress you would take off of you if you did you homework Friday before you went out, instead of Sunday afternoon with a hangover. Just think about if you took time to go to your friend’s play, how much less they would bug you about it.

I know that to some time is a blessing, but to a lot it’s a pleasure. I have missed out on many opportunities because I said I’ll wait for tommorow, and sometimes I was able to get it done, but more than often I missed out on something else. So please seize the moment and live for the now, because I believe in time.