The Relativity of Happiness

Melissa - Plymouth, Michigan

As a 12 year old lying in a cold hospital bed I smiled. I smiled because I was happy with where I was. Looking back I wonder. If I were to be placed in the same situation now, without my friends, without my technology, without my clothes, without my stuff, would I still smile with contentment.

At the age of twelve I had my family and I had school, which I was more than happy to miss. When I was put into the hospital for my Crohn’s disease I was not missing much being there. Lying in bed with a television remote, having nurses cater to my every need, I felt like I was living the life.

As we grow up our lives are invaded by stuff. I call it stuff because that is what it is: possessions we do not need, neither do we necessarily care about. These possessions invade our mind and tamper with our ideas of happiness. One who was once happy listening to a song on the radio now is only happy with headphones in their ears connected to the newest MP3 player with the maximum amount of memory.

Like the MP3 player, our “stuff” is cutting us off from others. Our possessions are taking us away from real relationships. Instead of meeting with a person, we have to be talking to them on our I-phone’s. Instead of getting to know a person we go to a theater and watch made up characters live life for 2 hours together.

People “find” happiness in many different ways. I find my happiness in the Lord’s strength. Some people find happiness being with people they love, others find happiness doing things they love.

My challenge for myself is to try and find happiness in the little things. Think about it. If we were to all find happiness in the little things, how much happier would we be in the big things? Our world would be a much more joyous place. Put away your stuff, and take the time to smile. You might have a lot to be unhappy about, but think about everything you have to be happy about.