Rachel - Fenton, Michigan

Important Words: NPR’s this I Believe Essay

Live, Laugh, Love

I live by these words every day of my life.

Live. I live for the moment. I don’t ever take a single day for granted. Life is about having fun and creating memories. God didn’t place us on Earth to be unhappy and I live a happy life. I think living is about being spontaneous.

I went on a road trip to Chicago this past spring with two girlfriends of mine to a Chicago Cubs baseball game. I was in my dorm room on a Tuesday, surfing the web around 11am when I get a phone call from my friend Caitlyn. She goes “Do you want to go to a Cubs game? We have free tickets.” I of course replied “Yes” because I had no other commitments the rest of the day. She told me to be ready in half an hour, so I quickly got ready no questions really asked. I pondered in my head weather the game was in Detroit against the Tigers or if we were really road tripping to Illinois. Road trip it was! Caitlyn picked me up in exactly 30 minutes. Next stop was State to pick up our dear friend Holly who had gotten us the free tickets from her family. We journeyed the 4 hours to Wrigley Park, where we nearly got lost for about an hour from Downtown Chicago. We missed the exit and somehow still found our way there. We had a great time at the game where it poured buckets and buckets of rain, the Cubs lost to the Brewers, where we took the train and where we sang at the tops of our lungs during the car ride. We didn’t get back to State till 4am then Caitlyn and I stayed the night and got 3 hours of sleep before heading back to Mount Pleasant where we both had class at 9 and 10am. We were exhausted but what an experience it was.

I think that’s what living is all about.

Laugh. I love laughing and I do it often. I don’t think there isn’t a single day that I don’t do it. I think laughter is one of the best medicines. It always makes me feel better if I’m not in a good mood or I’m really upset about something. Laughter spreads joy and is contagious. I think laughing just brightens days and all the others around you. Laughing at yourself is important too, don’t always be so serious, cut back and have fun.

Love. Love unconditionally. Love whole heartedly. Love everyone and everything around you. I love my family and I love my friends. They mean the world to me and I’d be lost without them. I love my life, and I don’t go a day without being thankful for what I have and the life I lead.

I believe in these words and don’t go a day without doing them.

Live, Laugh, Love!