Love For All

Grant - Northville, Michigan

Throughout life there are many types of love that people have, love with family, with friends, and with significant others, in whatever form they take. It is my belief that life, while possible, holds no meaning without love.

Most people, if not everyone, start with one type of love, that which comes from their family. I was born in Rochester, Michigan to two loving parents, the first of three kids, myself and my two sisters. It was at their knee I learned what the first, and perhaps the most important, kind of love is.

I recall fondly days spent at home, down the street form my aunt and my three cousins. Long afternoons spent playing with them in the neighborhood; playing on swing sets or a rambunctious game of tag with other kids from the area. It was during those days, which I still look back to with fondness, that I learned the everlasting love of a family.

Until high school I kept mainly to my self, but it was there that I realized how much friends had been missing from my life. There I forged my first long term bonds with friends. During those years of awkward growing up and preparing for college, I learned of the love and bond that true friends share for a life time.

Now to the last and possibly most important kind of love, the one you share with a significant other. Recently, during my college years, I formed this bond with a woman that I am still with today. It is this type of love, which unlike family and more important than friends, one we choose ourselves, which I believe is the most important, for it shapes so many things about our life. This bond affects our progeny in both number and how they are raised, as well as leading to what impact our offspring make on the world. Of all the kinds of love, I believe the love between significant others is the most important and without which would leave life in much wanting.

No, life is not pointless without love, but it is through this bond with family, friends and spouse that we can make our greatest achievements in life. Whether it is the long family ties that some of us have, the close friends with whom we share all our special moments, or our spouse with whom we have our children and spend our lives growing old, love spans all situations and time. Love brings us together, keeps us together and keeps us close throughout our life times. Life with out love is not truly living, this I believe.