Christina - Livonia, Michigan

It was the summer going into tenth grade. I was sitting in my friend Janice’s living room and we were listening to music and chatting about the upcoming school year. I was so excited. I was finally going to be a sophomore. I was no longer the inexperienced freshman. I was a wise sophomore. Then it came to me suddenly and I looked at Janice and said to her, “Something big is going to happen this year, I can just feel it.” She looked at me a little weird but she continued to ask me what I meant by that. I just told her I have this odd feeling that something is going to happen this year that will change me. Sure enough I was right.

The first day of school was great. I had all the classes I wanted with good friends and awesome teachers. It was my 4th hour English class. I sat in the back right corner with my best friend Angel. In the beginning of class my eye immediately went to him. His name was Noel. I had a crush on him since 7th grade choir class but I was way too shy to talk to him back then. I knew this was my chance now that I was older and way more confident. As the weeks went on I had tried small and subtle ways to talk to him. I took his notebook when we were in the computer lab and joked around with him.

One day after school I was walking home with Angel and we were going to her house to hang out. On the way there I turned around and noticed that Noel and one of his friends were walking behind us. I immediately got butterflies in my stomach. As we reached the corner where we had to turn, I heard someone shout out the word “hey!” I turned right around and realized that it had come from Noel. He then proceeded to ask me to go to the homecoming dance with him. I melted right then and there. I can still remember to this day how I felt when he asked me. Of course I accepted his invitation to the dance.

It was my first and only homecoming dance that I went to in high school. I still hold that night close to my heart. I don’t think I had ever been that nervous in my life. I just wanted to look beautiful for him and for the night to be perfect. From taking pictures to dancing, the night was an absolute hit. I had so much fun. Just being with him was the best feeling in the world. Then when the last song of the night came on and we slow danced, it was utterly amazing. Being in his arms felt so right. At the end of the song we kissed and after that I knew that he was the one for me. We were together for two years after that night.

I believe that there are people who you will meet in this world that help shape who you are. It can be a friend, significant other, parent, or sibling. For me it was Noel, the first love of my life. Even though we are no longer together and don’t really talk anymore, I still believe that he helped shape who I am. I learned to love and how to care about another human being so much it hurt. To really know what it takes to be in a relationship and how it works. He had so many views on the world and taught me so much about life. A day doesn’t go by without the thought of him.