Keelan - Hayden, Idaho

I attended the first five minutes of the first class at Manatee Community College in Bradenton, Florida. I do not remember the subject or the teacher’s name, but I remember that he was a quadriplegic; most likely caused by a neurological disorder. He had an assistant to write on the board and he was difficult to understand. One student stood and walked out and I quickly followed suit. A couple years later, when I went temporarily blind in one eye and found the probable cause was multiple sclerosis, the memory of this man had faded away. As a few years went by and my symptoms worsened, and the drugs failed, I remembered this man. I do not remember a look of sadness or a look of hurt, but I do remember his strength. I also remember my shame that I cleverly disguised with a sense of entitlement. I know for a fact that this disease is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I also know for a fact that if anyone on this planet needed this lesson, it was me. What I believe is that I had a teacher within my grasp that had strengths I have yet to see, and I squandered it.