Linda - Garden City, Michigan

Responsible and Caring Pet Owner’s Wanted

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always loved animals. I love dogs and cats especially, but I have a love for all animals. They can sense that I love them and would never hurt them and in return show me love and affection. I’ve always felt that I could communicate with animals and that we could understand each other.

I have had a cat for 16 years. He’s getting old, but he’s still as active as ever. I also have a 2 year old puppy. He has such a great personality. I treat both of them as if they were my children. They give such unconditional love that it amazes me. I am in awe that an animal can sense my mood, when I’m sick or know when something is wrong. Animals do not know how to be selfish when it comes to their humans. That’s why they love so unconditionally.

I can’t stand to see any animal in pain, injured or hurt. That is the only reason that I did not become a veterinarian. The idea of having to euthanize an animal to put an end to its suffering was just something that I could not live with doing.

I always want to rescue any stray animal that I see. I don’t want to see a dog or cat go to the pound only to be put down because it wasn’t adopted out. I know that shelters have limited space, but to kill an animal simply because they have no home is unbelievable to me.

If I see a dog or cat running near a road, my instinct is to try to get to it before it gets hit by a car. If I can’t get to it, I worry about it for days, hoping that the animal was safe and hadn’t gotten hurt. If I see an animal dead on the side of the road I always cry because I imagined it suffering and no one helping it and just leaving it there .

I get angry when I hear news reports or read in the paper about people being arrested because they have pets in their care and the conditions in which they are living are so deplorable that the animals have to be put down because they are so ill and there isn’t any way to treat them. I don’t understand why people have pets if they are going to abuse and neglect them.

I believe that the good responsible pet owners need to know where their pet is at all times. They should check on their pet when it’s outside. They should make sure that there isn’t a way for it to get loose and go running into the street.

I believe that everyone needs to be more observant and report any abuse or neglect that they see so that it isn’t prolonged and care and help can be provided to the animal. I believe that the owner should be held accountable for the abuse and be punished to the fullest extent of the law. I believe that the penalties for abusers be swift and harsh so they are less likely to get another animal and abuse it.

I believe that we need to take care of our animals. We are their only chance to have a happy life. The love and gratitude that they give in return is something that is very rewarding and can enrich your life.