Family Above All

Jillian - Livonia, Michigan

“The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.” This famous quote by automotive mogul, Lee Iacocca, shows why he played such a large roll in the Ford and Chrysler families. Like Iacocca, I believe in family. I believe in the benefits of strong family relationships. My family has been the solid foundation on which I have grown into a young woman. In today’s changing world, the only thing that we can consistently count on is our family. These people can affect our lives in ways that others can not. An individual can define who they consider to be family. Regardless of their relationship to you, those people form a support system that will always be there to make you a stronger person.

A family finds its meaning through trust. It is imperative that you can trust your family with your deepest, darkest secrets. Family members are those that know everything about you, and love you despite all of your personality quirks. They are there to enjoy you on your brightest days, and to pick up your spirits on the darkest ones. Family can make you feel comfortable in the most difficult situations. This ability to produce a smile in place of tears explains why a family serves as the best support system in the world. My family is always there for me, no matter the circumstances. Their unconditional love shows that they will always be my number one fans!

Family is not perfect. It is inevitable that we will get in fights, arguments, and minor scuffles with those that we love. These quarrels will only make you stronger as a person. Differences in opinion also teach us about one another. Therefore, they will help your relationship with that person grow. Arguments with family can be beneficial in teaching you about life. There will always be people that we do not get along with, and we need to overcome that. For example, my brother and I engage in small arguments very often. This is no indication of how we feel about each other. In fact, I know that my brother would drop everything for me if I needed his help. This kind of love can only come from some one that you consider family.

It is important to know that family need not be restricted to those that are only in your immediate family. Family is not confined to those with whom you share blood lines. Friends, teammates, and co-workers can all be members of your family. Any person that you spend a lot of time with and trust can be welcomed into your family. The only condition completely necessary for that family relationship is mutual love and care for one another. The rest will follow as the relationship grows. Personally, I gained twenty new family members in the past year. My softball team at Central Michigan University became my second family. I spent every day with the same girls, and after only a few months, I began to consider them my sisters. I would not trade this bond we share for anything in the world.

Family can mean different things to different individuals. To me, my family is my world. I believe that family should play an irreplaceable role in each of our lives. I also believe that family defines all of us in our own special way. Family is the people in our lives that we love, trust, and believe in. Despite all of the disagreements, I will always be there for my family. I have no doubt in my mind that they will be there to return the favor. That is why I keep family above all.