Clue to Happiness

Anees - san diego, California

I had only read a few of chapters of the Deathly Hallows when I called to say hello to my mother-in-law. I was supposed to finish the book the weekend it was released but, as it was my husband’s birthday that Saturday, I postponed it until after the weekend. Everyone else was cruising through the book as fast they could and I was worried that I would come to know of the suspense if I was not careful. So, not to give scope for any kind of damage that anyone might cause intentionally or unintentionally, I stayed away from conversations about the book and anything related to it.

My mother-in-law knows that I am a die hard reader of the Potter series and I know that Harry Potter to her is like algebra to a five year old. Nonetheless, she unknowingly revealed a key piece of the ending to me, in complete innocence and with an unblemished record of her consideration for others. She was excited as she was explaining to me, how the folks in India were going crazy over the last book and, that there was even a news flash on the television one night which said, “dash dash dash…”

I could not believe what I had heard and on the other line my mother-in-law was totally unaware of what had just happened. I was surprised that I did not feel the disappointment that I thought I would succumb to. I was also surprised that I could not wait to get my hands back on the book.

I had a wonderful time reading each line, each paragraph and each page of every chapter. The journey of Deathly Hallows was amazingly satisfying and the incident had also led me to think of life as such, which I realized was not very different from any book or anything else that we do.

Starting every minute that we wake up to the minute we go to sleep, we come across people we may not totally agree with or things that we may not like a lot. But if we let each and every one of them play on our minds, we may not know how peacefully the day could have passed otherwise.

I have learnt to let go – learnt that the things we think matter a lot may not be that significant in reality and things that we usually take for granted each day and perhaps overlook, may be the clues to happiness.

Any time, I feel stressed or sad I make sure that I read this essay of mine and I instantly feel better. This has become my mantra for everyday and I believe in myself and my loved ones more than anything else. I believe that a journey can still be wonderful even with a few obstacles and a few unforeseen events and even if we all know what the end is going to be.