Banin - Canton, Michigan

I believe in Achievement for all people. Everybody has potential to achieve; they’ve just got to figure how to put that potential to good use.

As a child I always thought, ‘Oh, I’m not as smart as the other Asian kids because they’re just naturally smart and good at things’. This was absolutely wrong thinking of me. All students should be given the same opportunity as another to reach their highest potential, in other words, maybe even their dreams. I was just making up an excuse for why it was so hard for me to get good grades, but now I’m testing my potential, because now I know that any person can reach their goals if they just set their minds to it.

Let’s say that a 9th grader says she wants to be a math teacher when she grows up because she loves the way her own teacher teaches. The problem is that she’s not good in math. She may not be good in math, but she has still has the potential to succeed if she really sets her heart to it. She could go visit the math lab at her school to get some help or get a tutor, or even take some extra math courses to better understand what she’s doing. All these factors will test that girl’s skills until she either fails or succeeds, but regardless what happens at the end, the girl should have tested her skills to the highest level and worked her butt off to determine the end result…her potential.

No one succeeds by being lazy and not finishing their homework, or by goofing off in school. You’ve got skills, you’ve got a potential. You’ve just got to figure out how to use it and do it. This applies for all students in the world. It’s important to succeed in life, that’s why you should.