Todd - Leola, Pennsylvania

I believe you need to live your life to the fullest every day.

One day while driving home from work on a back country road in Lancaster, I was suddenly passed (in the same direction) by a horse and buggy going faster than I have ever seen one go. It was obviously a runaway. Up ahead on my left, I could see two people on bicycles and a white sedan approaching. I blew my horn, flashed my lights and waved frantically.

The bicyclers saw me and the buggy roaring toward them and jumped up onto the bank next to the road. As the horse and buggy approached the oncoming car the horse reared up and jumped to the left breaking free of the harness and running away. The buggy slammed head-on into the car.

The driver of the car appeared to be okay and so we all rushed to see if there was anyone inside the buggy. Fortunately it was unoccupied. I asked the driver if he was alright and he was. I offered to be a witness in case he needed one, and as I was leaving, he looked at me and smiled and said…”boy, you just never know how your day is going to turn out.

A few years later, my wife was having trouble with tingling in her left hand and then started to drag her left foot a bit. The family doctor suggested an immediate battery of tests.

Following the first test, a CAT Scan the doctor summoned me to the examination room and announced that my wife had 8 brain tumors spread throughout her brain. The doctor suggested it could be several things including cancer and advised us to get to the hospital immediately, which we did.

Upon arrival we were rushed to an emergency room and for the next five or six hours she was tested, x-rayed, scanned and visited by a myriad of specialists, all hoping to help her. The preliminary diagnosis was everything from MS to cancer to benign tumors. This was a frightening time for both of us.

As she was getting ready for bed in the hospital that night, she looked at me, smiled and said…”Boy, you just never know how your day is going to turn out”……

The final diagnosis was brain cancer. Since that time, she has been through months of chemotherapy and bouts with numerous side effects, but today has been cancer free for three years and she ahs been living a fairly normal life.

We used to do a lot of planning for the long term, the trips we would take someday, the boat we might own when we retire, etc, etc,… but recently we have been taking those trips we dreamed about and doing the things we want to do now rather than wait for some future time. We are living in the present rather than the future, because….”You just never know how your day is going to turn out”