Maisoon - Dearborn Heights, Michigan

I believe being a parent is the hardest, yet most rewarding accomplishment one can ever achieve. I myself became a parent at a young age, and although it was difficult financially, and physically, it is the greatest gift I could have asked for. Some might think that being a parent is easy, but it is far from that. “Making the decision to have a child is momentous; it is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body”. To me, it’s like my whole world is based on my child. When choosing to be a parent you have to think about money, your environment, and your heart.

When I became a mom last October, I was a young troubled girl with out a job. Everyone was encouraging me to get an abortion since the timing wasn’t right. But when are any of us ever really ready to become parents? I refused to listen to anyone, and set out to find a job. Sure I was a single mother, not in school, and with little support but that wasn’t going to stop me. I ended up finding a great full time job at a hospital. Although me and my son my not be financially set, I will always make sure I put food on the table.

Your environment is key to raising a child. For instance, you want to make sure you live in a safe place, and your home is good enough to raise your children. If you can’t afford the best neighborhood in town, than it’s ok to settle for something a little less. For example, do some research on the school districts, the community, and people. I live an a little apartment in Westland, but I love my neighbors, and my community. It’s not the size of the home that matters; it’s about the people that live with in it.

Finally, you want to make sure that you are able to love someone more than you do yourself. A lot of parents today put themselves before their children, and it’s not right. I know that we all need to do things for ourselves, but when we have children we have to make decisions based on our needs as well as our child’s. Also you need to make sure having children is what you want in life. Not everyone is suitable to be a parent. Some may be too selfish, or just don’t want the responsibility. Deciding to have children takes a lot decision making and should not be based on any outside influences or pressures. A requirement for having children is that you give them 100% of your life, and your heart.

In conclusion, being a parent is the hardest job you will ever experience. It takes love, persistence, and dedication. But once you accomplish those things, and your children are having children you can look up and say “I did it”. I believe in a lot of things, but the most important belief I have is that being a parent is the reason that I was sent into the world.